Cauliflower Alfredo Sauce


We just harvested a bunch of cauliflower and had to think of some creative ways to use it all. I saw a recipe on myfridgefood.com for a cauliflower alfredo sauce, so I decided to give it a try!

What you need:
- 6-7 cups of water, chicken broth, or vegetable broth
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 3 tablespoons minced garlic
- 5-6 cups cauliflower flowerettes
- 1/2 cup milk (optional)


Bring the water, chicken broth, or vegetable broth to a boil. Add the cauliflower, cover, and simmer for 10 minutes until flowerettes are tender. 


Use a slotted spoon to transfer the cauliflower along with one cup of the broth into a blender. Blend the cauliflower and liquid until smooth.


In a large skillet, melt the butter and simmer the garlic in it for a minute or two. Add the cauliflower from the blender stir until smooth. If desired, add milk and stir until smooth once again. 


Simmer for a few minutes and then serve over noodles! You will notice that my sauce turned out more yellow than white, but that is because I used a mix of white and yellow cauliflower. (Imagine if I had used some of the purple cauliflower!) The color will look more like regular alfredo if you use a more traditional color of cauliflower.


I know what you're thinking, because I was thinking the same thing- this sauce is made of cauliflower...there is no way it can taste good. I was wrong. It was delicious! Even my husband, who describes himself as a "meatasaurus" said that is was, and I quote, "very good"! Now THAT is saying something :)

If I could change anything for next time, I would add a few sun dried tomatoes and a little parsley on top of each serving and possibly add some grilled chicken or shrimp to get some protein in there. However, even by itself, the flavor of the sauce was surprisingly amazing, especially when you consider that it is 1/10 of the calories of regular alfredo sauce! If you are feeling daring, give it a try :)

Comments